Wednesday, October 8, 2008

No gas

Our stove here (as do most stoves in Israel, I believe) runs on cooking gas from a tank (somewhere!) outside our building. We ran out a few days ago and I don't know when we'll be able to get someone to deliver more (or even figure out which one of the tanks is ours; they don't appear to be labeled in any way).

You might think I would be upset about this as I have really enjoyed cooking during my time here. But, at least for the moment, I'm thinking of it as an adventure. We still have a pretty good oven. I'm traditionally the kind of cook who prefers to do most everything on the stove-top, but I can move my frittatas from the stove-top to the oven (even using the same cast iron pan!) . . . and discover other oven cooking options I've never used before.

Perhaps more importantly, we also still have a microwave! I expect to be consulting this Minimalist article about stretching the limits of the microwave quite a bit!

No comments: