Thursday, August 14, 2008

Minna walked up the hill . . .

. . . that leads to Machon Schechter, yesterday. Countless times I walked up that (steep!) hill on way to Schechter where I spent most of my time studying during my Israel year (2000-2001), so it brought back warm memories to hear Minna recount the effort it took to go up that beautiful hillside. That walk was part of what I loved so much about my year there.

Minna, however, was not on her way to Schechter, but to a much larger and more famous institution next door -- the Israel Museum. Her Ulpan was on a field trip there. It sounded like she had a great time!

It is hard for me to believe that I will be in Israel, too, in only a week and a half. . . So much packing and such to do before then! . . . But talking with Minna -- especially, about the little details of life there, like the shopkeeper with the little store who gave her a discount on her purchase because he didn't want to make change for her 100 shekel note -- I am starting to be able to taste it, again. . . It's been much too long (about 7 years now) since I've been back. . . I can't wait! :)

No comments: